Our Manufacturing client is looking for an experienced Financial Controller, who is looking to move into a Finance Director position
To be responsible for compiling Group Monthly and Annual Accounts packages reporting locally to the UK Board and Globally . Maintain the accounting system in order that all accounts are reconciled and controlled, providing accurate (and timely) data in the production of the monthly accounts. Produce the site monthly management accounts in conjunction with the site General Manager’s with full explanation of variances - participating in and feeding back to the site management teams in their monthly accounts meetings, as well as in the monthly group management exec’s meetings and eventually as FD in the every two monthly Board Meetings. Direct staff within your department, coaching and mentoring them to achieve their targets. Gradually take on responsibility from the Company Secretary and the MD certain aspects of corporate governance and system responsibility. Eventually having Group IT reporting into them, and other aspects of the business yet to be defined - which may include group legal matters, analysis of potential acquisitions, and other financial and legal project work.
Initial Key Accountabilities
• Meet the monthly timetable for the closing down of all ledgers (nominal, sales, purchase and cash manager) including electronically saving the pre-determined list of reports prior to ledger closedown in the period end folder. This may sometimes take place after normal working hours because exclusive access is required.
• Ensure that all subsidiary ledgers are reconciled prior to closure.
• In conjunction with the sites, control of baled waste invoices and updating the schedules for the different sites.
• Direct or delegated - updating car lease and forklift truck schedules ensuring the invoices have been coded to the correct cost centre.
• Clearing the Creditors Suspense at month end recoding all transactions before the closedown of the purchase ledger.
• Maintain a log of all balance sheet accounts requiring analysis and reconciliation and ensure that all reconciliations are completed prior to preparation of monthly accounts for all sites. Liaising and directing the management accountant and other staff members to achieve this.
• In conjunction with the Company Secretary initially, complete and submit quarterly VAT return on time and ensure INTRASTAT for Arrivals and Dispatches on a monthly basis is electronically submitted.
• Oversee general accounts staff.
• In conjunction with staff members, manage foreign currency accounts, dollar and euro, ensuring that suppliers are paid when required from these accounts and all items are posted to the ledgers.
• Collate and input monthly internal performance statistics for distribution to the management team
• Control and reconcile petty cash funds on a monthly basis - this can be delegated to payroll (it currently is).
• Ensure staff and self are cross trained to ensure continuity during periods of absence and holidays.
• Attend monthly management meetings presenting data as and when required.
• In conjunction with the site General Manager’s control costs and report on variances to budget/forecasts.
• Ensure all sales are accurately invoiced and credit notes approved and sanctioned.
• Ensure only bona fide and properly approved purchase invoices are processed.
• Cash - Manage payments and prepare cash flow forecasts in conjunction with management accountant and initially the Company Secretary.
• National Statistics returns.
• Controlling systems and procedures, updating the instructions and training of staff. Providing coaching and mentoring to staff as a matter of course.
• Assist site General Managers in the preparation of CapAp’s and other notices and reports required by the Boards.
• Host external auditors and co-ordinate meetings with them the MD and Company Secretary. Provide initial report for Board in conjunction with the auditors.
• Gradually take over the insurance provider Liaison meetings from the Company Secretary
• A bachelor or master degree in finance, accounting, business administration or economics and/or a qualified or nearly qualified accountant
• Strong track record in finance / controlling positions within the manufacturing industry (packaging is an advantage, however not a must)
• Probably 15 years to 25 years’ experience in finance / controlling positions
• Expert in Excel & ERP oriented (knowledge about Abaca is an advantage)
• Good team spirit
• Strong commercial skills
• Autonomy, assertively together with the ability to drive changes.
Key Result Areas To be established, but will include H+S of department, Business ROCE, time to get information out, accuracy of information and non-conformances in year-end audits.